Preventing Bathroom Mold & Mildew
- June 1, 2016
- Category: Commercial, Hard Surface Maintenance, Tile & Grout
Fighting mold and mildew in your bathroom can be a constant struggle. Constant moisture caused by your shower or bath makes mold almost impossible to prevent entirely. Once spread around your bathroom, it can be very difficult to clean. Having a strategy in place for minimizing moisture is key for keeping your bathroom clean. Here are some simple steps you can follow to prevent mold and mildew in your home.
- After taking a shower, use a small squeegee to remove water from the walls and any puddling on the floor. This will remove 75% of the moisture that causes mold and mildew growth.
- Stretch your shower curtain out after showering. Mold often grows inside the folds of shower curtains and this will allow it to dry completely. You can also buy a shower curtain that is made to be mildew resistant.
- Run your bathroom’s exhaust fans when showering or taking a bath. After you are finished, run the fans for at least a half hour afterwards to remove as much of the moisture from the room as possible.
- If you have tile & grout in your shower, the grout lines should be re-sealed every 3-5 years. We recommend heavy duty grout sealer from DuPont.
- Wash your bathroom floor mats and rugs regularly to prevent mold buildup.
- If mold does become present, use a bleach solution (25% bleach and 75% water) on the affected areas. Spray the bleach solution directly on the mold and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Make sure you rinse the surface very well and repeat if needed. ONLY use bleach as a spot cleaner for existing mold and mildew. DO NOT use it as a regular cleaner or clean the entire shower with bleach.
If you have ever dealt with bathroom mold, you should know how difficult it can be to clean. Taking these simple steps can stop mildew growth and keep your bathrooms looking brand new. Do you have mildew built up in your bathroom grout? GK’s Custom Polishing, Inc. is Cleveland’s premier tile & grout cleaning and sealing service. We have been in business for over 20 years and serve both commercial and residential customers all across Northeastern Ohio. We are also a master distributor of Dupont StoneTech cleaners and sealers. Visit our website to learn more about our services or to place an order. Give us a call at (440) 937-4457 or send us an email to set up an appointment.