Preparing Your Flooring Surfaces for the RNC
- July 1, 2016
- Category: Commercial, Hard Surface Maintenance
In just a few short weeks, Cleveland will be host to the Republican National Convention. Regardless of your political beliefs, it is undeniable that the RNC will bring local Cleveland businesses a massive influx of business during the week of the convention. With over 50,000 traveling to Cleveland, it is in the best interest of local facility managers to have a plan to prepare for the large increase in foot traffic. Here are some tips for putting together a plan for your staff.
Before the RNC:
- Pressure wash all exterior concrete and hard surfaces. With the amount of people traveling through your buildings, that means a lot of outside dirt can be brought inside with them. Make sure your exterior surfaces have been cleaned recently to prevent this dirt and grit from coming in and scratching your floors.
- Inspect your cleaning equipment such as auto scrubbers and floor buffers to make sure they are ready for extended use. Inspect auto scrubber squeegees and squeegee blades daily to ensure that they do not leave streaks on your floor. Check the buffing pads on any floor buffers that your custodial staff use to see if they are dirty or need to be replaced.
- We recommend auto scrubbers to maintain the high traffic hard surfaces in your area. Wet mopping will be much harder to complete when there is higher foot traffic because of the floors staying wet for a longer period of time. This is also dangerous and a slip hazard for your patrons. If you do have to wet mop, mop in sections and put cones and even caution tape around the section until it dries.
- Put down extra carpet mats at entryways and high traffic areas. Carpet mats trap dirt/debris and prevents that dirt from spreading across your floors.
- Shake out and vacuum the entrance mats every day.
- Vacuum all carpeted areas multiple times per day.
- If your facility has a public restroom, make sure the paper towels, trash, soap and floors are supplied and cleaned more regularly. Public restrooms are often the first place people look when determining the cleanliness of a facility.
- Stock up on basic cleaning supplies. Make sure you have the correct types of cleaners for the types of hard surfaces in your facility. Inspect mop heads and make sure that they do not need to be replaced as well.
- Use metal polish to touchup any stainless or brass within your facility. A good brass polish will remove smudges, water spots and oily residue. Never use a general cleaner to polish brass or stainless. Since some general cleaners can contain harmful chemicals that can be damaging to metal surfaces. Only use a cleaner or polish specifically made for metal.
Do you need help getting your facilities ready for the Republican National Convention? GK’s Custom Polishing, Inc. offers commercial cleaning, polishing and refinishing for natural stone, concrete, tile/grout, brass and stainless. Our knowledgeable team of hard surface experts can also consult with your staff about the best ways to maintain your facilities and set up a custom tailored maintenance plan for your company. GK’s Custom Polishing, Inc. is also a master distributor of DuPont StoneTech cleaning and sealing products. Give us a call at (440) 937-4457 or send us an email for more information on how we can help your company get ready for the RNC.