Motorcycle Maintenance Tips for Autumn
- October 9, 2015
- Category: Detailing, Motorcycles, Storage, Transporting
The changing of seasons means that Cleveland motorcycle owners must start thinking about winter storage for their beloved bikes. Before it’s time to hang up your helmet, you want to make sure that your bike is in top working order. Proper maintenance of your motorcycle prior to storage will help to prevent any costly repairs in the future. Below we have outlined a maintenance checklist for your motorcycle in order to get it ready for the winter.
- Battery – Keeping your battery charged is very important if you want to keep your bike running properly. If your motorcycle sits idle for two weeks or more, you will want to give it a charge. You can also tell if your battery is low if it has trouble starting or if your lights appear to be dim. Also be sure to tender your battery while it is in storage.
- Fuel System – When your bike goes unused, be sure that you are using a fuel stabilizer. Untreated gas only lasts about six months before it starts to break down. Using a fuel stabilizer can make your fuel last for up to 2 years. You will also want to check your fuel filter and fuel line for any clogs or damage.
- Tires – Check your tire pressure to prevent tire blowouts. Under-inflated tires generate more heat and increase your chances of getting a flat. Also, be sure you are monitoring your tire treads. If your tread depth is 1-2 mm or below, it is time to replace your tires.
- Oil – Regularly change your oil and your oil filter. You want to make sure that your oil level is consistently high to keep your bike running smoothly.
- Shaft Drives, Belts & Chains – Check your belt drive tension often and make sure it is clean. Also be sure to change the shaft drive oil every time you change the oil in the bike to make keep them working properly. It is also important to lubricate your chain right after every ride. If done while the chain is still warm, it can better absorb the lubricant.
Do you need a safe and secure place to store your cars, boats, motorcycle or RV for the winter? We offer climate-controlled indoor storage for all types of vehicles and more. To reserve your spot for winter storage give us a call at (440) 937-4457 or click here to download our reservation form.